Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. – Ephesians 3:20.
As we’re in the midst of the IMAGINE Capital Campaign I’ve been asked to share what I could imagine for the future of my home church, Faith Lutheran. Today I shared a few things during our services that I’d like to share with you…
I’ve been raised in this church my entire life: as a youth, confirmand, a High School Youth Group student, and now as a young adult. I went on mission trips to Michigan, Colorado, West Virginia, and Mexico. I’ve served in roles such as Sunday School teacher, confirmation mentor, finance team, Discipleship committee, hosting a Women’s Faith Conference, and worship leader. I may be young but I have seen 3 sets of Pastors transition through this church: Pastors Tim Mayland and Thor Skeie, Pastors Randy Freund and Dave Christensen, and now Pastors Scott Grorud and Dave Wollan. Throughout these transitions I’ve always felt that our church had a youthful, energetic ministry. This young energy flows through our leadership, our staff, and our members.
This energetic and equipped congregation continues to grow under the leadership of Pastors Scott and Dave. So what is in the future for our congregation? I have imagined 6 ways in which I’d like to see growth in our ministries.
1. Small Groups – I look forward to seeing singles, couples, and family groups based on age, gender, and interests meet weekly as small groups focusing on stories in the Bible and living them out in our own lives.
2. Coffee Bar/ Breakfast Café – With the recent addition of Starbucks to Hutchinson, a resurge in caffeine has certainly hit Target, Facebook, and members of our congregation. It’s no secret that Pastors Dave and Scott have many conversations over coffee which is an open and friendly approach to meeting new people. Having this space in our fellowship area would be a compliment to our ministries and encourage discussions throughout the week.
3. There is an APP for that. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a podcast, Bible Study, or live audio sermons all on your phone or tablet? Several churches already have these apps that you can follow but by having our own, our members could connect with us even when traveling. We can also increase our membership and reach to people outside of the Hutchinson area to be a part of the ministry at Faith.
4. Young Women’s Ministry – There seems to be a mysterious disappearance of young adults post-college and prior to the child-rearing years. I’d enjoy being a part of a flourishing Women’s Ministry in the community of Hutchinson that includes Bible Study, support groups, outreach events, and most importantly strong, Christian friendships.
5. Empower women to believe and live out their lives as Princesses, Daughters of our Heavenly Father. This inspiration comes from a 60-day devotional I’ve been reading called Rise Up Princess by Kristen Dalton Wolfe, Miss USA 2009. Her book reminds us that we, as young women, are royalty, daughters of the most high God. This devotional is just the reminder I need each morning and night to remember my place in his Royal Kingdom.
What do you IMAGINE? What is your vision for the future ministry at Faith Lutheran Church? I encourage you to share with our Pastors, staff, or congregation members. And most importantly this week, take the Pledge. Fill out your pledge card and bring it next weekend to Commitment Sunday on November 16th.
Your Sister in Christ,